Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Rants...

Last night I got a phone call from a good friend of mine, and she was telling me about her job hunting experience. She is about my age, so that makes her 30..lol!, and she was trying to apply for a job that has a more fixed schedule. For quite some time she has been working on shifting schedule and she got tired of it. Like she would tell me - "it's hard working on night shifts". I felt for her, when she told me that she was having a hard time looking for a regular office job, because apparently most of the companies prefer younger people, or fresh graduates. It's either she goes beyond the age limit or she's over qualified. Now, the age limitation got me bothered. Seeing a friend not given a fair chance on a particular work because of the age made me feel bad. I feel that one's capacity to handle a particular job shouldn't be judged because of her age, and the only chance these companies give you to prove your worth is a very short initial interview and that's it. I wish this kind of practice should be stopped, because there's still a lot to learn in the more mature people.

No comments: