Friday, July 25, 2008

On BFF Chi

This morning, I woke up to this text message :
Friendship is never about the people who act true in front of you,
It is always about the people who remain true behind your back.

It was a forwarded message coming from my bestfriend Chi, who I haven't seen for more than a year now. And it brought me back to how we got to know each other. We were classmates back in college, we have the same majors and we both didn't like Math.We know the basics but the rest was just left to "mercy"....Hahaha....During long class intervals, I would be a constant visitor at their home and I got close to her family as well. We were like sisters. We would have our share of secrets from crushes to boyfriends..We knew almost anything about each other - except for one...The bestfriend that I am - I never knew she was pregnant until I saw her on the first day of classes during out third year in college. She was in her jeans and shirt, rocker get-up but her tummy was bulging...I thought it was not her I'm looking at....and when she saw me, she was just laughing and told me "hey, I'm pregnant". That was a surprise. I was there on her very early wedding, and was there when she lost that baby [my godchild] midway into labor. It was hard for her and also for me. We would have graduated together but she took a leave from school and became a homemaker and now a doting mother to two bright and nice boys. I haven't seen them in a while and I'm glad they are doing well in school. Looking back, I'm glad I have a friend like her who remains to be true no matter the distance and the circumstances are. We may have started out as merely acquaintances, yet we ended up as very, very close friends. :)

No comments: