Sunday, May 25, 2008

Music of my Life

My influence in music hails from the fact that I came from a family of music lovers and from a grandfather who played the violin. Though I never got to learn it, I still can say that my earliest memory of my grandfather was spending New Year's in their home and listening to him play, and enjoying the fireworks afterwards. As I got older, I got introduced to the songs from the movie The Sound of Music. In fact I grew up with it. It's probably the one movie that I have seen the most number of times. I just never get tired watching it. And the songs, I know them by heart. Then I got hooked on listening to Tomorrow, from Annie, and if we can rewind the dates a little, I feel like I've heard the song Chiquitita for the longest time. It was just so familiar to me. And I knew the reason why - our neighbors were Abba fans and as my Ma had told me, when I was just a baby, these neighbors would keep playing Abba-thus the familiarity. When I started going to school, I couldn't study my lessons or do my homework without me listening to music. I never liked a very quiet bedroom, when studying. My music varies from rock,pop,jazz,Broadway,the classic and at a young age I was also listening to my father's records of Patti Page, Beatles and Bee Gees. Matt Monroe was in the list as well.

Through the years, I have learned to associate the different stages I went through in my life through songs. That's why it's hard for me to name just one favorite song. As I got more mature, I have found myself a perfect song - Baz Lhurmann's Everyone's Free to Wear Sunscreen.Though I've heard this so many times already, it still makes me cry every time. This song showed what a genius Lhurmann was, and as the say "the best advice one could ever get".

No comments: