Monday, May 26, 2008

Mom's Revel Bars


My Ma was here the first week of May. Not seeing her for the most part of the year, my siblings and I often get excited everytime she comes here. We had all the reasons to. First, she would always bring us fresh seafood and delicacies that you can only find in our hometown. The past few visits, though she added Revel Bars to her usual list of "pasalubongs". She brought some for us so she can let us taste her latest creation and she seems to be enjoying it when she sees us eating them with so much gusto. A very good cook that she was, she started telling me the recipe so I can do it myself. Just like when we were so much younger. I can say that we both share the same love for cooking and baking. I can't believe that the recipe was just so simple, I whipped one already last weekend. My siblings seemed to love it, they even brought some for their office mates.

Ingredients:

2/3 cup margarine, softened

1 cup brown sugar

1 pc egg

3/4 tsp vanilla extract

1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour

3/4 tsp baking soda

1 cup oatmeal

1 tbsp cashew nuts or walnut, chopped

100 g semi-sweet chocolate, grated 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk

1 can (234 g) Fresh Cut Crushed Pineapple, drained

Procedure:
PREHEAT
oven to 350°F. Grease a 7”x7” pan. Set aside.

CREAM margarine and brown sugar. Add egg, beating well after addition. Add vanilla. Set aside.

COMBINE flour and baking soda. Add to the margarine mixture. Mix well. Fold in oatmeal and nuts. Press 3/4 of this mixture at the bottom of the prepared pan. Spread DEL MONTE Fresh Cut Crushed Pineapple over crust (oatmeal mixture). Set aside.

MELT chocolate in a double boiler. Blend in condensed milk. Pour over crust. Cover and freeze for 15 minutes. Divide remaining oatmeal mixture into 6 portions. Press lightly onto pan to partly cover the chocolate topping. Bake for 35 minutes. Cool and chill for 3 hours. Cut into bars.



No comments: